17-08-2026
Four Renaissance works by the Sicilian painter Antonello da Messina, valued at up to 80 million euros ($93m), were stolen from the MuMe Regional Interdisciplinary Museum in Messina, Italy. The theft reportedly occurred at about 9:50pm during Ferragosto, a major Italian holiday, while police and crowds were concentrated in the city for the traditional Vara procession.
According to Italian media, the thieves cut through perimeter fencing on Viale Annunziata and forced open a side door. They broke into an armoured display case and removed a small, double-sided tempera panel dating from 1465–1474. The panel depicts the Virgin and Child with a Franciscan Monk on one side and Christ in Pietà on the other. The work had belonged to the Wilhelm Soldan collection before being acquired by Sicily at a 2003 Christie’s auction after its attribution to Antonello was formally confirmed.
The thieves also dismantled the five surviving panels of Antonello’s San Gregorio Polyptych, commissioned in 1473 for the Santa Maria monastery. Three sections were taken, while panels depicting Saint Benedict and Saint Gregory were abandoned near the museum. The altarpiece is the only surviving Antonello masterpiece that remained in his hometown.
Museum director Marisa Mercurio said staff were devastated, while local Culture Councillor Enzo Caruso compared the crime to a movie-style Louvre heist. Art-crimes expert Lynda Albertson said the works would be difficult to sell because of their fame and distinctive history, suggesting they could instead be used as leverage within criminal networks. The article notes that Antonello, born around 1430, left relatively few surviving works, making them irreplaceable cultural treasures. The theft followed the recovery in Parma of three works by Renoir, Cézanne and Matisse valued at about $11.5m.
Entities: Antonello da Messina, MuMe Regional Interdisciplinary Museum, Messina, Sicily, Italy, Renaissance art theft, Ferragosto holiday • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
Four Renaissance paintings attributed to the Sicilian master Antonello da Messina have been stolen from the Regional Interdisciplinary Museum of Messina in Sicily. The theft occurred on Saturday night, with museum director Marisa Mercurio estimating that it took place at about 21:50 local time. The stolen works include three of the five surviving panels of the Polyptych of San Gregorio, painted in 1473, and a double-sided panel depicting the Madonna with Child and Christ in Pietà, believed to have been created around the same period.
Italy’s culture minister, Alessandro Giuli, described the works as being of “extraordinary value.” Police are investigating how the thieves entered the museum without activating its alarm system and whether the paintings were stolen to order for black-market buyers. According to Italian news agency Ansa, the double-sided panel was removed from inside a secure display case. Because all four works are painted on wooden panels, they could not simply have been rolled up for concealment or transport.
The stolen works are considered especially significant because Antonello da Messina was one of the early Renaissance’s leading painters and was born and raised in Sicily. The Polyptych of San Gregorio was commissioned for the monastery of Santa Maria and depicts the Virgin Mary and infant Jesus, saints and angels. The smaller double-sided panel may have been intended for private worship.
Messina mayor Federico Basile condemned the theft as a violation of the city’s shared heritage. The incident follows several major European museum thefts. Days earlier, Italy’s specialist art crime unit recovered paintings by Cézanne, Renoir and Matisse worth a combined €9m. Last year, thieves also stole €88m worth of historic jewellery from the Louvre in Paris, increasing concerns about museum security.
Entities: Antonello da Messina, Alessandro Giuli, Marisa Mercurio, Federico Basile, Regional Interdisciplinary Museum of Messina • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
Four artworks by the 15th-century Sicilian Renaissance painter Antonello da Messina were stolen overnight from the Museo Regionale di Messina in Messina, Italy, according to Italy’s culture minister, Alessandro Giuli. The theft occurred just before 10 p.m. on Saturday during a national holiday, museum director Marisa Mercurio told Italian news agency ANSA.
Three of the stolen works are panels from the Polittico di San Gregorio, a six-panel altarpiece originally created for a local monastery that was destroyed in Messina’s 1908 earthquake. Only five panels are known to survive, and the three taken pieces represented part of the only surviving work by Antonello da Messina that had remained in his hometown. A fourth stolen object is a small, two-sided painting showing the Virgin with Child and a Franciscan monk on one side and Christ on the other. It had belonged to the Wilhelm Soldan collection before being sold by Christie’s to the Sicilian Region in 2003.
Local culture councillor Enzo Caruso suggested that the Italian state’s purchase earlier in 2026 of another Antonello work for approximately US$15 million may have drawn criminal attention to the museum. Art-crime analyst Lynda Albertson said the stolen pieces are highly recognizable, making them difficult to sell through legitimate channels. She warned that such works can circulate among criminals as collateral for other illicit activities.
The theft comes shortly after Italian police recovered paintings by Paul Cézanne, Pierre-Auguste Renoir and Henri Matisse that had been stolen from a museum near Parma. Antonello da Messina, born around 1430, trained in Naples and was influenced by Provençal and Flemish artists. He returned to Messina in 1457 and worked there until 1474.
Entities: Antonello da Messina, Museo Regionale di Messina, Messina, Sicily, Italy, Polittico di San Gregorio, Alessandro Giuli • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
Four Renaissance paintings attributed to the 15th-century Sicilian artist Antonello da Messina were stolen late Saturday from the Regional Interdisciplinary Museum of Messina in Sicily, Italy. The stolen works include three panels from the San Gregorio Polyptych and a double-sided panel depicting The Madonna and Child. Italy’s Ministry of Culture described the paintings as being of “extraordinary value” to the country’s cultural heritage.
The San Gregorio Polyptych was originally made up of at least five sections and sustained damage during the 1908 earthquake. The Madonna and Child panel reportedly sold for more than $300,000 at a Christie’s auction in 2003, although the cultural and historical value of the works is considered far greater.
Minister of Culture Alessandro Giuli expressed dismay and regret over the theft. Federico Basile, the mayor of Messina, called it a “heinous criminal act” and said he was especially outraged because the theft occurred during the city’s traditional celebrations honoring the Virgin Mary. Basile said officials hoped those responsible would be identified and that the paintings would be returned.
The theft comes only months after the Italian state purchased another work by Antonello da Messina, Ecce Homo, at a New York auction for nearly $15 million. The incident highlights continuing concerns about the protection of valuable cultural artifacts and Italy’s efforts to preserve and recover works of its artistic heritage.
Entities: Antonello da Messina, Regional Interdisciplinary Museum of Messina, Messina, Sicily, Italy, Italian Ministry of Culture, Alessandro Giuli • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
Four Renaissance works by Antonello da Messina, valued by an art expert at approximately €70 million to €80 million, have been stolen from the MuMe regional museum in Messina, Sicily. The thieves took three of the five surviving panels of the artist’s 1473 San Gregorio Polyptych and a double-sided panel showing the Virgin Mary and the dead Christ in a Pietà. Although all five polyptych panels were initially removed from their frame, two were reportedly abandoned behind a wall as the thieves escaped. The Pietà panel was taken from an armored display case.
The theft occurred shortly before 10 p.m. during Ferragosto, the Italian holiday marking the Assumption of Mary. Large crowds were gathered in Messina for a procession in Piazza Duomo, while museum guards were present and the alarms and security systems were functioning. The museum was closed on Sunday as investigators collected evidence.
Museum director Marisa Mercurio described the loss as devastating, emphasizing the works’ importance to the museum, Messina, the region and the international art world. The city’s culture official, Enzo Caruso, called the theft a disaster and urged the swift recovery of the paintings, saying Antonello’s work is central to Messina’s identity. Art-crime analyst Lynda Albertson noted that the works are immediately recognizable, making it difficult to sell them through legitimate art channels.
The theft comes shortly after Italian police recovered three stolen works by Renoir, Cézanne and Matisse in Parma. That separate case involved five detentions and works valued at roughly €10 million. Officials also linked the increased international interest in Antonello da Messina to Italy’s Culture Ministry purchasing his painting “Ecce Homo” for $14.9 million through Sotheby’s in New York earlier in 2026.
Entities: Antonello da Messina, MuMe regional museum, Messina, Sicily, San Gregorio Polyptych, Pietà panel depicting the Virgin Mary and Christ • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform