17-08-2026
US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, although South Korea’s Ministry of Defence said the drills would proceed as scheduled. Trump cited his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, arguing that the exercises are expensive and send an inappropriate and hostile signal to Pyongyang. He also said North Korea had been “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency.
Trump said it was too late to cancel the exercises, which were scheduled to begin on August 17 and run through August 27, so he instructed Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth to reduce their scope. The annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises are intended to prepare South Korean and US forces to defend against North Korea. This year’s drills involve approximately 18,000 South Korean soldiers and take place amid concerns about North Korea’s military capabilities, including its experience linked to Russia’s war on Ukraine.
South Korea’s government contradicted Trump’s announcement by saying the exercises would take place according to the previously announced schedule. North Korea has consistently condemned the drills as invasion rehearsals. A spokesperson for its Ministry of Foreign Affairs recently accused the United States, South Korea and Japan of developing a nuclear alliance and warned that Pyongyang would respond to an increased threat with a stronger deterrent.
Trump’s comments followed a social media post featuring a photograph of himself with Kim Jong Un. The two leaders met three times during Trump’s first term. The article notes that Trump previously criticized the exercises as “expensive” and “provocative” after his 2018 summit with Kim in Singapore. Trump also referred to South Korea’s refusal to participate in a proposed effort concerning the denuclearization of Iran, linking that decision to his criticism of Seoul.
Entities: Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, United States Department of Defense / Pentagon, Pete Hegseth, South Korea’s Ministry of Defence • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: neutral • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
US President Donald Trump says the United States will “substantially reduce” joint military exercises with South Korea, arguing that the drills are expensive and send an “inappropriate and hostile” signal to North Korea. He also linked the decision to South Korea’s refusal to join the US effort to “denuclearise” Iran, although he acknowledged that the issues were “somewhat unrelated.” Trump cited his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and posted a photograph of the two leaders from 2019 shortly before announcing the change.
South Korea said the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield exercises would proceed as scheduled. The 11-day drills involve about 18,000 South Korean troops and were expected to be similar in scale to previous years. Around 28,500 US military personnel are stationed in South Korea. North Korea, which has not directly responded to Trump’s latest announcement, recently condemned the exercises as preparation for an aggressive war and has conducted ballistic missile tests prohibited by the United Nations.
The exercises are taking place amid heightened regional tensions. US and South Korean military leaders said their training accounts for North Korean troops deployed to support Russia’s war against Ukraine. North Korea has accelerated its nuclear and missile programmes since the collapse of Trump’s diplomacy with Kim in 2019.
The decision creates a mixed message for Seoul. Trump’s apparent interest in renewed engagement with Kim could support South Korean calls for dialogue, including President Lee Jae Myung’s proposal for talks on formally ending the Korean War, which technically remains unresolved under the 1953 armistice. However, Trump’s criticism of South Korea’s reluctance to contribute directly to US operations against Iran adds strain to the alliance. Trump has previously complained that the US provides security to South Korea without receiving enough in return. He suspended similar exercises in 2018 during negotiations with Kim and they were scaled back again in 2020 during the Covid-19 pandemic.
Entities: Donald Trump, Kim Jong Un, Lee Jae Myung, United States, South Korea • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: neutral • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
US President Donald Trump has instructed the Pentagon to substantially reduce joint military exercises with South Korea, arguing that the annual drills are expensive and send an inappropriate and hostile signal to North Korea. Trump made the announcement on Truth Social shortly before the United States and South Korea were scheduled to begin Ulchi Freedom Shield, one of their two major annual large-scale military exercises.
Trump linked his decision partly to South Korea’s refusal to assist the United States in efforts to denuclearize Iran. He also cited his stated good relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un and described North Korea as having been “unthreatening and respectful” toward the United States. Trump said the exercises were already too close to their start date to cancel, but ordered Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to reduce them substantially.
The exercises were scheduled for August 17–27 and were expected to involve approximately 18,000 South Korean troops. Their purpose was to improve military readiness against potential threats from North Korea, including drone attacks, GPS disruption and cyberattacks. The drills have historically been a central part of the US-South Korea alliance, which has lasted more than 70 years.
North Korea regularly condemns the exercises as preparations for an invasion. The announcement followed reports that Pyongyang had fired ballistic missiles toward the sea and threatened to take stern measures against Washington and Seoul. North Korea has also been supporting Russia’s war against Ukraine by providing troops. Because the exercises were scheduled to begin immediately, it remained unclear how Trump’s order would be implemented or how significantly the drills would be altered.
Entities: Donald Trump, Pete Hegseth, Kim Jong Un, United States, South Korea • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: neutral • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce the annual joint military exercises with South Korea, arguing that the drills are too costly, hostile toward North Korea and inappropriate given his relationship with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un. The exercises had already begun, so Trump said they could not be cancelled outright. He directed Secretary of War Pete Hegseth to scale them back instead.
Trump also criticized South Korea for declining to assist the United States in its war against Iran. He said he had asked South Korean President Lee Jae Myung whether Seoul would support the “denuclearisation” of Iran, but that South Korea had refused. The decision marks another instance of Trump publicly pressuring a traditional US ally while expressing greater accommodation toward a leader previously regarded by Washington as an adversary.
The move reverses recent US praise for South Korea’s contributions to regional security. In May, Hegseth commended Seoul for increasing defence spending and taking greater responsibility for the security of the Korean Peninsula. The exercises, known as Ulchi Freedom Shield, involve approximately 18,000 South Korean troops and are intended to improve preparedness against potential North Korean attacks. US officials have described them as central to regional peace, security and the US-South Korean alliance.
North Korea has condemned the drills as preparations for an aggressive war and threatened unspecified measures against Washington and Seoul. Since the collapse of Trump’s nuclear diplomacy with Kim in 2019, North Korea has expanded its nuclear and missile programs. Experts believe Kim sees a larger arsenal as a way to gain leverage in future negotiations.
Trump met Kim three times during his first term and has expressed interest in renewing talks. Kim has said he has positive personal memories of Trump but would want Washington to abandon its demand for North Korean denuclearisation. Trump similarly sought to suspend the exercises in 2018, calling them provocative after his first summit with Kim in Singapore.
Entities: Donald Trump, Pete Hegseth, Kim Jong Un, Lee Jae Myung, United States • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: neutral • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
US President Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce planned joint military exercises with South Korea, despite saying it was too late to cancel them entirely. The exercises were scheduled to begin during the week of August 17, 2026, and involve approximately 18,000 South Korean soldiers alongside US forces.
Trump said on social media that the decision was prompted partly by South Korea’s alleged refusal to help the United States denuclearise Iran. He also argued that the exercises were too expensive and sent an “inappropriate and hostile” message to North Korea. Trump characterized North Korea as having been “unthreatening and respectful” during his presidency, implying that large-scale military drills were unnecessary or counterproductive.
The president said he had instructed Pete Hegseth, identified in the article as the Secretary of War, to substantially reduce the exercises. However, South Korea’s defence ministry indicated that it would proceed with the drills as previously announced and scheduled, creating an apparent disagreement between Washington and Seoul over the scope and implementation of the activities.
The 11-day exercises were intended to improve the allies’ readiness to respond to possible North Korean threats. Planned activities included practicing joint operations in complex scenarios, a live-fire exercise testing precision targeting and manoeuvre, a wet-gap crossing, and the distribution of pre-positioned military equipment. The article presents the order as a significant policy adjustment affecting US-South Korean military cooperation, while also highlighting uncertainty over whether the exercises will actually be scaled back given South Korea’s stated intention to continue as planned.
Entities: Donald Trump, Pete Hegseth, Pentagon, United States, South Korea • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
17-08-2026
US president Donald Trump has ordered the Pentagon to substantially reduce the scale of the annual Ulchi Freedom Shield military exercises with South Korea, despite warnings from American and South Korean commanders that North Korea is gaining valuable battlefield experience from the Ukraine war. The drills are scheduled to begin on Monday and continue through 27 August, involving approximately 18,000 South Korean troops, US forces and personnel from 11 countries in the United Nations Command.
Trump said he was unhappy with US participation because of what he described as his “very good relationship” with North Korean leader Kim Jong-un. He characterized the exercises as costly and unnecessarily hostile, while also criticizing South Korea for allegedly refusing to assist with the denuclearization of Iran. Trump has previously suspended or reduced US-South Korean exercises while pursuing diplomacy with Pyongyang, including after his 2018 summit with Kim.
The decision comes as military officials say North Korea’s cooperation with Russia has enhanced its capabilities. More than 14,000 North Korean troops have reportedly fought alongside Russian forces in Ukraine’s Kursk region, exposing them to modern combat involving drones, GPS disruption, cyberattacks and ballistic missiles. US officials said this year’s exercise had been redesigned to reflect those lessons and address an evolving North Korean threat.
South Korea’s defense ministry said the drills would proceed as previously scheduled, while North Korea denounced them as preparation for an aggressive war and threatened a stronger response. Pyongyang also test-fired ballistic missiles before the exercise. The article notes that North Korea and Russia are completing a road bridge that could serve as a military logistics route, raising further concerns about their growing partnership. A retired South Korean general warned that North Korea’s improved capabilities should not be taken lightly.
Entities: Donald Trump, Kim Jong-un, South Korea, North Korea, United States military • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform