Articles in this Cluster
24-05-2026
A gas explosion at the Liushenyu Coal Mine in Shanxi province, northern China, has killed at least 82 people and left two missing, according to officials, making it the country’s deadliest mining disaster since 2009. The blast occurred on Friday evening while 247 workers were reportedly on duty. More than 100 people were rescued, and 128 were being treated in hospitals, including two in critical condition. The deaths were largely attributed to inhaling poisonous gas, while state media reported that carbon monoxide levels in the mine exceeded safety limits. Rescue efforts involved hundreds of workers, six rescue teams, and mine inspection robots equipped with sensors and infrared cameras, but operations were hampered by flooding near the blast site and inconsistencies between mine blueprints and actual conditions. Chinese President Xi Jinping urged that no effort be spared to treat the injured and search for survivors, and the State Council said a rigorous investigation would be carried out and those responsible severely punished. Officials also apologized for confusion over the death toll, blaming chaotic early headcounts. The disaster has prompted immediate safety inspections across Shanxi province and a suspension of production at the four mines operated by the group running Liushenyu. The article also places the tragedy in the broader context of China’s mining safety record, noting that despite tightened standards and crackdowns, fatal accidents continue to occur in a sector central to China’s coal-dependent economy.
Entities: Liushenyu Coal Mine, Shanxi province, China, Xi Jinping, State Council • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
24-05-2026
A gas explosion at a coal mine in Changzhi city in China’s northern Shanxi province killed at least 82 people and injured more than 120 others, making it the country’s deadliest mining accident in recent years. Local officials said two people were still missing and that the death toll had been revised downward from an earlier state broadcaster report that said 90 had died. Rescue efforts continued on Saturday with hundreds of rescuers and medical personnel at the site, while President Xi Jinping ordered an all-out search for the missing, a thorough investigation, and accountability for those responsible.
Authorities said the mine operator had committed “serious violations” of the law, though they did not specify them. State media reported that the mine’s blueprints did not match the actual layout, complicating rescue operations. The mine, operated by the Shanxi Tongzhou Coal & Coke Group, had already been listed in 2024 as disaster-prone because of its high gas content. The disaster drew renewed attention to China’s persistent coal safety problems, even as the country pushes to expand green energy. The article also places the accident in a broader historical context, noting earlier deadly mining disasters in Inner Mongolia in 2023 and Heilongjiang in 2009.
Entities: Shanxi province, Changzhi city, Liushenyu coal mine, Xinhua News Agency, CCTV • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
24-05-2026
Chinese authorities are investigating the owners of the Shanxi Tongzhou Group after a deadly coal mine blast at the Liushenyu Coal Mine in Changzhi, Shanxi province, killed at least 82 people and left others missing or injured. Local officials said the company had committed “serious violations of the law,” and all four mines run by the group were ordered to suspend operations immediately. Chen Xiangyang, deputy party secretary of Changzhi, said investigators had made a preliminary assessment that the enterprise had violated legal requirements, while rescue workers continued searching through the night for missing miners.
The disaster is being described as China’s worst mining accident in more than a decade. More than 120 people required hospital treatment after the Friday explosion, with state media reporting many injured had been transferred to hospitals in major cities. However, a South China Morning Post reporter observed that dozens of injured people still appeared to be in the county hospital, including some using oxygen masks. The article also notes heightened security at the site, with police stationed along access roads. One survivor said many of the miners working at the time had not been registered, raising further concerns about safety and oversight. The exact cause of the accident remains under investigation, but the government’s early response focuses on rescue efforts, suspension of operations, and possible legal accountability for the mine’s owners.
Entities: Shanxi Tongzhou Group, Liushenyu Coal Mine, Changzhi, Shanxi province, Chen Xiangyang • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform