18-08-2026
FIFA confirmed on Aug. 17, 2026, that Chief Operating Officer Kevin Lamour had left the organization after two years of service. The departure came several weeks after Lamour publicly criticized President Gianni Infantino’s proposal to sell private investors a stake in FIFA’s tournament business, including commercial interests connected to the World Cup.
A FIFA spokesperson said Lamour’s working relationship with the governing body ended that day and that FIFA would make no further comment. Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom reportedly told staff and FIFA Council members that Lamour and the organization had “agreed to part ways” after recent discussions.
Lamour had accused FIFA staff of being “deceived” about Infantino’s proposal and described it as “the project of one person.” He argued that FIFA’s mission was to serve football rather than the personal interests of its president. His criticism followed the resignation of Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, who called the proposed sale “a bad deal for football.”
The plan to sell part of FIFA’s commercial interests to private investors generated significant opposition in the soccer world, including warnings that European nations might boycott future World Cups. The controversy has also prompted scrutiny of Infantino’s leadership and internal support for his presidency.
Lamour joined FIFA in November 2024 and had previously been part of Infantino’s inner circle during the campaign that led to Infantino’s election as president in 2016. His departure, alongside Cordeiro’s resignation, represents another high-profile consequence of the backlash surrounding the proposal. The article places Lamour’s exit within a broader leadership crisis at FIFA, although the organization has provided no detailed explanation beyond saying that the two sides agreed to separate.
Entities: Kevin Lamour, Gianni Infantino, FIFA, Mattias Grafstrom, Carlos Cordeiro • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
18-08-2026
France 24’s sports segment reports that Kevin Lamour, FIFA’s Director of Operations, has left his position after being dismissed. The report links his departure to his strong criticism of FIFA President Gianni Infantino and Infantino’s proposal to establish a commercial company. The segment does not provide further details about the company, the circumstances of Lamour’s dismissal, or FIFA’s response.
The report also provides a brief roundup of other sports developments. Footballers Rodri and João Cancelo have arrived in Barcelona, while Ayoub Bouaddi is identified as a possible replacement for the Spaniard at Manchester City. The wording suggests that Bouaddi could be considered as a successor to Rodri, although the segment offers no additional information about negotiations or transfers.
In tennis, Aryna Sabalenka has confirmed that she will play alongside Novak Djokovic. The report does not specify the competition or format in which the two players will appear together. In table tennis, Félix Lebrun is described as the new world number two.
The item is a short, factual sports-news bulletin presented by L’Equipe TV and published by France 24 on August 18, 2026. Its main focus is the leadership-related development at FIFA, with additional football, tennis, and table-tennis updates included as part of the broader sports roundup. The report’s tone is concise and predominantly neutral, although the FIFA story carries a negative element because it concerns a dismissal and public criticism of the organization’s president.
Entities: FIFA, Kevin Lamour, Gianni Infantino, FIFA Director of Operations, FIFA commercial company plan • Tone: neutral • Sentiment: neutral • Intent: inform
18-08-2026
FIFA confirmed that Kevin Lamour, the organisation’s chief operating officer and its third-highest-ranking official, left his position on August 17, 2026. The departure followed Lamour’s public criticism of FIFA President Gianni Infantino’s proposal to sell stakes in major competitions, including the World Cup, to private investors. FIFA said the working relationship had ended and thanked Lamour for his two years of service, while declining to provide further details.
Lamour, a Frenchman and former employee of European football governing body UEFA, had served as FIFA’s COO since November 2024. He was among the most senior FIFA officials to oppose Infantino’s plan, which he characterized as “the project of one person.” In a statement published by the Associated Press on July 31, Lamour said football leaders needed to make difficult decisions and added that he would accept losing his job over his stance.
The proposed investment arrangement was later abandoned. FIFA Secretary General Mattias Grafstrom and Chief of Global Football Development Arsene Wenger both supported the decision to scrap it, with Wenger calling the move “absolutely necessary.”
The controversy has increased scrutiny of Infantino’s leadership and reportedly placed his position under threat for the first time since his election in 2016. UEFA, CONCACAF and the Asian Football Confederation reinforced that pressure by issuing a joint statement declaring that “football belongs to no individual.” The article presents Lamour’s departure as a significant consequence of an internal dispute over FIFA’s governance and the commercial future of its flagship competitions.
Entities: Kevin Lamour, Gianni Infantino, FIFA, Chief operating officer role, Private investor plan • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
18-08-2026
Fifa has dismissed chief operating officer Kevin Lamour, ending the tenure of a senior executive who recently criticised president Gianni Infantino’s plan to restructure the organisation’s commercial operations. Lamour opposed a proposal to create a new commercial entity containing some of Fifa’s most valuable assets, including rights connected to the World Cup and other major tournaments. The proposed entity was valued at approximately $20 billion, with up to a 20 per cent stake potentially sold to private equity investors for an estimated $4.2 billion.
Lamour accused Fifa employees of being “deceived” by the proposal and said it appeared to be the work of “one person”. He argued that Fifa’s purpose was to serve football rather than Infantino’s personal interests. Carlos Cordeiro, a senior adviser to Infantino, also resigned after opposing the plan and called it “a bad deal for football”. Infantino later withdrew the proposal, but the dispute has intensified criticism of his leadership.
The controversy comes ahead of Infantino’s attempt to secure a fourth presidential term in March 2027. Although he was previously re-elected without opposition in 2019 and 2023, Uefa, the Asian Football Confederation and Concacaf have called for an independent review of his conduct. The African and South American confederations continue to support him.
Human rights organisation FairSquare has separately asked Fifa’s Governance, Audit and Compliance Committee to declare Infantino ineligible to stand again. It argues that his first period in office, beginning in 2016 after Sepp Blatter’s resignation, should count toward Fifa’s three-term presidential limit. Fifa excluded that initial period from the calculation in 2022. FairSquare described the decision as a breach of the rules and a dangerous precedent. Fifa confirmed Lamour’s departure but declined to comment further and did not respond to a separate request for comment on the eligibility complaint.
Entities: Fifa, Kevin Lamour, Gianni Infantino, Mattias Grafstrom, Fifa commercial rights restructuring plan • Tone: analytical • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform