Articles in this Cluster
18-05-2026
A rescue diver died during an operation in the Maldives to recover the bodies of five Italians who were killed in a scuba-diving accident earlier in the week. The diver, Staff Sgt Mohamed Mahdhee, was taken to hospital in critical condition after surfacing from a high-risk search operation and later died from his injuries, according to a Maldivian government spokesman. The original incident occurred on Thursday, when five Italians entered cave waters at Vaavu Atoll and did not resurface. One body is believed to have been recovered from a cave at about 60 meters depth, while the other victims remain missing. Authorities described the search as dangerous, citing rough weather and poor conditions, and a yellow warning had been issued for boats and fishermen in the area.
The deaths have been described as possibly the worst single diving accident in the Maldives, a nation heavily dependent on tourism and known for its coral islands and dive sites. Maldivian President Mohamed Muizzu visited the search area to observe operations. Italy’s foreign minister expressed condolences, saying the tragedy brought shared grief to Italy and the Maldives. The five Italian victims included four members of a University of Genoa team—a professor, her daughter, and two researchers—as well as a diving instructor and boat operations manager. Officials also noted that recreational divers are only permitted to dive to 30 meters, raising questions about why the group entered a cave at around 60 meters depth. Another 20 Italian nationals aboard the yacht from which the divers departed were unharmed and receiving assistance from Italian diplomatic staff.
Entities: Maldives, Italy, Vaavu Atoll, Male, Indian Ocean • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
18-05-2026
Finnish divers have joined Maldivian authorities in a renewed search for the remains of four Italian divers believed trapped deep inside an underwater cave in the Maldives, after the rescue mission was halted when a Maldivian military diver died from decompression sickness. The Italians were part of a five-person group that entered a cave system in Vaavu Atoll at roughly 50 meters, far beyond the Maldives’ recreational diving limit of 30 meters. One body, diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti, has already been recovered near the cave entrance, while the other four are presumed dead inside the system.
The incident has triggered an international recovery effort involving the Maldives coastguard, local military and rescue personnel, and now three Finnish cave-diving experts who arrived to help plan a safer strategy. Weather conditions have repeatedly disrupted operations. Italian authorities said the cave has multiple chambers and narrow passages, making recovery dangerous and limited by oxygen and decompression constraints. Italy’s foreign minister pledged to do everything possible to bring the victims home and expressed condolences for the Maldivian diver who died during the rescue attempt.
The dead divers have been identified as ecologist Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, marine biologist Federico Gualtieri, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and Benedetti. The University of Genoa said Montefalcone and Oddenino were in the Maldives on a scientific mission related to marine environments and climate change, but the fatal dive itself was undertaken privately. Family members and the tour operator involved have both raised questions about how the deep dive happened, especially since the operator says it did not authorize or know about a descent beyond legal limits. The Maldives Tourism Ministry has suspended the vessel’s operating license while investigators determine the cause of the deaths.
Entities: Finnish divers, Italian divers, Maldives, Vaavu Atoll, Mohamed Hussain Shareef • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform
18-05-2026
A search operation for four missing Italian divers in a Maldivian underwater cave system was suspended after a Maldivian military diver died from decompression sickness during the rescue attempt. The five Italians disappeared on Thursday during what officials described as an unauthorized deep dive that exceeded the Maldives’ recreational diving limits. One diver, Gianluca Benedetti, was found dead near the cave entrance soon after the group vanished, while authorities believe the remaining four are trapped deep inside a complex cave system about 160 feet underwater near Vaavu Atoll.
The missing divers were identified as marine researcher and ecology professor Monica Montefalcone, her daughter Giorgia Sommacal, marine biologist Federico Gualtieri, researcher Muriel Oddenino, and diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti. Carlo Sommacal, Montefalcone’s husband, questioned whether the incident was simply accidental, citing his wife’s and daughter’s experience and discipline. Rescue crews faced severe underwater conditions, limited oxygen, and decompression risks, making the mission extremely dangerous. After the death of Mohamed Mahdi of the Maldives National Defense Force, officials halted the operation pending review and the arrival of three Finnish cave-diving specialists.
The Italian Foreign Ministry said the cave system contains three large chambers linked by narrow passages, and rescuers had explored two chambers before stopping. The operator of the diving trip, Albatros Top Boat, denied authorizing the descent and said the divers appeared to have used only standard recreational equipment rather than the specialized gear required for technical cave diving. Meanwhile, the Maldives Tourism Ministry suspended the expedition vessel’s operating license as investigations continued. The case highlights the extreme dangers of cave diving and the risks involved in deep underwater rescue efforts.
Entities: Maldives, Vaavu Atoll, Italy, Monica Montefalcone, Giorgia Sommacal • Tone: urgent • Sentiment: negative • Intent: inform